Subject: [comp.infosystems.gopher] New relational search Perl Gopher server (schedule of classes)
From: [email-masked] (Edward Moy)
Date: 15 May 1993 06:55:42 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.archives

Archive-name: auto/comp.infosystems.gopher/New-relational-search-Perl-Gopher-server-schedule-of-classes

Available now via anonymous ftp to quantum.Berkeley.EDU is the gophersoc
distribution, which is a set of Perl scripts that implement a schedule of
classes Gopher server that allows relational searches to be performed,
using simple to fairly complex queries such as:

	A class from a department containing "phy" (like Geography
	or Physics) that doesn't meet on either Tuesdays or Thursdays,
	that doesn't start before 10 am or between 12:00 and 12:59 pm,
	that has less than 3 units and meets in Bechtel Hall.

Running on a DECstation 5000/200 under Ultrix, the server takes a few seconds
to search through the ~3000 class sample database (the real schedule of
classes here at U.C. Berkeley is more like 7000 classes a semester).

(This is the software that I promised to distribute at the recent Gopher
conference, after showing it off during the "New Tools/Uses for Gopher"
session.  Too bad I didn't win the winning prize of a gopher stuffed-
animal :-(

Included is a technical explanation of how the server works and should allow
the industrious programmer to modify it for their own schedule of classes
(or for any other type of data where relational search capability is needed).

Legal Stuff
----- -----

gophersoc, version 1.1
Copyright (c) 1993, The Regents of the University of California.
Edward Moy, Workstation Software Support Group, Workstation Support Services,
Information Systems and Technology, University of California at Berkeley.

Permission is granted to any individual or institution to use, copy,
or redistribute this software so long as it is not sold for profit,
provided that this notice and the original copyright notices are
retained.  The University of California makes no representations about the
suitability of this software for any purpose.  It is provided "as is"
without expressed or implied warranty.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

(Some of you may be wondering what happened to version 1.0.  Well, that's
really what I was working on when I got a lot of new ideas to improve
performance.  Unable to resist adding the new stuff, I decided that this
was really a new release, so I changed the version number.  Wow, a free
and timely upgrade for something that didn't exist yet ;-)

Support
-------

I'm personally interested in improving and enhancing this software, but I
can't guarantee anything.  You can send me bug reports and suggestions, and
if I have time....

I'd like to keep a registry of who is using gophersoc, especially what uses
you put it to.  I will use this registry to try to keep you informed of any
upgrades, bug fixes, etc. and especially new versions.  So if you could, please
send your name, date, organization, e-mail address and possible or intended
uses this software to me at:

	[email-masked]

Enjoy!

Edward Moy				Principal Programmer - Macintosh & Unix
Workstation Support Services		Workstation Software Support Group
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720

[email-masked]