Subject: Re: Where are the WWW users?
From: Marc VanHeyningen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1993 16:10:56 -0500
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.www

Thus said Michael Witbrock <[email-masked]>:
>Excerpts from netnews.comp.infosystems.www: 1-Jul-93 Where are the WWW
>users? Marc [email-masked] (1685)
>
>> I was asking myself this question, and ended up running some
>> statistics on the current log files for our server (with nearly 20,000
>> transactions logged in about the past two weeks.)
>
>If you wrote a tool or script to do this, could you make it available?
>You aren't the only curious one.

Sure; it's in http://cs.indiana.edu/bin/hoststat.pl (it's a perl
program.)  It's designed to read log files in which each line starts
with a (numeric) IP address; anyone who knows perl could change
formats easily enough.  I can't promise it's super efficient, but it
avoids doing really dumb things (like calling gethostbyname() on the
same host seven hundred times.)

--
Marc VanHeyningen  [email-masked]  MIME, RIPEM & HTTP spoken here